Re: How to read data from a text file based on the title?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: How to read data from a text file based on the title?
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 09:22:21 -0500

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 8:07 AM Mohammed Atta <address@hidden> wrote:
I shared my MATLAB code with proper explanation in the sense, that it will help others and make the problem much easier. In further emails I stated my problems which I am encountering in Octave while executing the same procedure that i did in MATLAB.
However, If helping someone to extract certain format of text file data means "WRITING SOMEONE ELSE SOFTWARE" then, this thread is no longer useful.

Thanks everyone for your valuable time.

Thank you for replying to everyone this time.  Again, the convention of this list is to trim extraneous text and bottom post.   See: http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

Now, you are bringing in two text files of nicely tabulated, delimited data, mostly numerical but with text headers, and want to export a delimited data file with the data rearranged.  I pointed out that if you can replace 'splitapply', which is really a wrapper matlab uses to combine multiple lower level functions, it seems the rest of the process should work.  That said, you have a fairly involved process for handling and massaging all of this data. my usual approach is to do a dlmread of the files, assign columns to variables, and then work with them that way to manipulate and rearrage the data, construct a new variable with the data in the order I want, and then do a dlmwrite to output the revised text file.  If I have time to step through all of your code, I might look at whether or not this is manageable.  maybe if you want special header handling, you'll need something a bit more involved to handle multiple types of data (text labels, numeric data, etc.), but I've rarely needed to do much more that basic file I/o and array concatenation to make things like this work.

what are you doing with the split array, and maybe we can suggest a few substitute commands to produce the same effect. help us help you with a Minimal Working Example:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimal_working_example

nickj