Re: Plot a diode I/V characteristic

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Plot a diode I/V characteristic
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 13:30:49 -0500

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 11:11 AM Pantxo <address@hidden> wrote:
Maynard Wright wrote
> On Monday, December 10, 2018 5:47:19 AM PST Doug Stewart wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 4:20 PM anger &lt;

> jphenriques@

> &gt; wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I'm trying to plot a I(V) curve of a diode.
>> > The problem is that the scale of V below 0 is much smaller than the
>> scale
>> > above 0 (the picture illustrate it)
>> > https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_vKeaPHXF9U/maxresdefault.jpg
>> > Can I split the scales above and below zero?
>> > I'm using Octave 4.2.2 on Lubuntu.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > anger
>>
>> I tried , and I don't think that it can be done on octave. :-(
>> Doug
>> &lt;https://linuxcounter.net/user/206392.html&gt;
>
> How about scaling up the values that are below zero before plotting?   It
> might give you problems with using Octave's labels, but it would expand
> the
> portion of the curve that interests you.
>
> Maynard

Yes, this looks like a good solution.

You could also make use of two separate axes:

hax1 = axes ("position", [.5 .5 .4 .4]); hold on
plot (0:1000, 0:1000)
hax2 = axes ("position", [.1 .1 .4 .4], "xaxislocation", "top",
"yaxislocation", "right"); hold on
plot (0:-1:-10, 0:-1:-10)
% Remove ambiguous/overlapping tick labels at the origin
xl = get (hax1, "xticklabel");
xl{1} = "";
set (hax1, "xticklabel", xl)
xl = get (hax2, "xticklabel");
xl{end} = "";
set (hax2, "xticklabel", xl)
yl = get (hax1, "yticklabel");
set (hax1, "yticklabel", yl)
yl = get (hax2, "yticklabel");
yl{end} = "";
set (hax2, "yticklabel", yl)

Pantxo

Using what Pantxo said, here is an M file for you to start with. :-)

--
DASCertificate for 206392