Re: load netcdf not working

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: load netcdf not working
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 11:08:12 -0600 (CST)

eugenia wrote
> Hi,
> I have Octave v4.2.2 in Fedora 29. And I also have netcdf installed.
> I need to install netcdf package for octave. I downloaded manually but
> when
> I try to install it, I have the following error message:
>>> pkg install -forge /home/Gomez/Downloads/netcdf-1.0.12.tar.gz
> error: get_forge_pkg: invalid package name:
> /home/Gomez/Downloads/netcdf-1.0.12.tar.gz
> error: called from
>     get_forge_pkg at line 34 column 5
>     get_forge_download at line 26 column 12
>     pkg at line 382 column 29
>
> I also tried with the following but nothing:
>>>pkg load netcdf
> error: package netcdf is not installed
> error: called from
>     load_packages at line 41 column 7
>     pkg at line 411 column 7
>
> Can anybody help me? I installed Octave via Discover utilities.
>
> Regards and thanks in advance
>
> Maria Eugenia
>

> --
> Sent from:
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html

Hi,

AFAICS, you have downloaded the package archive so you should not use the
"-forge" option. Did you try without it?

On debian there is a package for netcdf, which avoids having to take care of
dependencies (libnetcdf at least) yourself. The installation is then as easy
as "apt install octave-netcdf".
Isn't there such default package in Fedora? e.g.

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/koschei/package/octave-netcdf?collection=epel7

Pantxo