Re: Symbolic doesn't works after loading

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: Symbolic doesn't works after loading
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 14:02:26 -0700

On 2018-07-17 12:12 PM, maby200 wrote:
Hello, I am trying to use symbolic in octave.
First, downloaded and installed symbolic with:
          pkg install -forge symbolic
          pkg load symbolic
Then, started to write some code
          syms x
and next thing appeared:

Initializing communication with SymPy using a popen2() pipe.
"python" no se reconoce como un comando interno o externo,
programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable.
error: Cannot run the Python executable "python"
     Python and SymPy are needed for most Symbolic features.
     Is Python installed?  Is your "path" configured correctly?
error: called from
     assert_have_python_and_sympy at line 24 column 5
     python_ipc_popen2 at line 78 column 5
     python_ipc_driver at line 59 column 13
     python_cmd at line 164 column 9
     valid_sym_assumptions at line 38 column 10
     assumptions at line 82 column 7
     syms at line 97 column 13

I have Python 2.7 installed.
Is anything wrong with it?

1.  Maybe "python.exe" is not in your path?

> "python" no se reconoce como un comando interno o externo,
> programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable.
> error: Cannot run the Python executable "python"

2. What OS? If Windows, see https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-Windows-installation

3. If GNU/Linux or Mac, what does does "which python" say at the command prompt?

4.  Try "setenv PYTHON python2"

5. Upcoming version 2.7.0 has a new "sympref diagnose" command that can debug some of this for you. You could download the .tar.gz file from https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package-releases/346/ and try that.

best,
Colin