Re: If pi is so accurate why it's not producing that accurate result.

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: If pi is so accurate why it's not producing that accurate result.
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 19:13:56 +0000

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018, 3:05 PM Dildar Sk, <address@hidden> wrote:
I checked pi is almost accurate to 1000 digits. WoWww.

But in this cases,
>> cos(pi/2)
ans =    6.1232e-17
>> tan(pi/2)
ans =    1.6331e+16

the result is not that accurate,not even close to infinite or zero.
Can anyone tell why so?

Pi is known to well over millions of digits. But our software cannot store millions of digits so we have to discard most of the digits and only keep a few at the front end. If you discard some digits then there can be an error produced. What you are seeing is just a result of chopping off some of the digits and seeing what's left.