Re: Realtime plot of floating point data from Serial

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: Realtime plot of floating point data from Serial
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 06:23:48 +0100

Am 25.02.2018 um 21:36 schrieb borabut:
> Im having trouble getting a real time plot of my serial data on Octave. Im
> tuning. Right now my arduino code is just dummy code that writes sine wave
> data over serial. The arduino plotter works fine, showing a perfect sine
> wave but octave shows garbage data.
>
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t372752/data.png>
>
> Obviously these data points are wrong since sine wave can only be between -1
> and 1, and arduino plotter shows exactly that. What am I doing wrong that my
> floating point values are getting mangled in Octave?

Since you don't have any synchronisation, the byte stream between the
arduino and your PC seems to be shifted some (1-3) Bytes.

The quick and dirty way is to power down the arduino, restart Octave and
your program and then power on the arduino. Of course the serial_put on
the ardiono side is only allowed to send floats, no status message,
nothing else.

Btw, adding code and data via a paste service is much better than adding
screenshots

Andy