Re: Updating Octave from 4.0 to 4.2

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Updating Octave from 4.0 to 4.2
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 10:05:12 -0700 (MST)

Sahil Chaturvedi wrote
> Hello, what would be the best way to update Octave from 4.0 to the latest
> version? I'm on MacOS High Sierra. I'm confused as to how to install this.
> Thanks for your time.

There is a wiki page [1] on that topic but it's rather complicated because
the Octave community has not yet converged on a single recommendation for
macOS. I personally recommend to install octave via the package manager
"homebrew" [2]. After installing homebrew on your Mac, you may get octave
4.2 via "brew install octave" from a terminal window. Sadly, it will not
install the graphical user interface (GUI) as this is still buggy on macOS.
However, if you manage to get homebrew up and running, then I can explain
you how to get GUI working. Feel free to ask or to look at [3].

Best, Seb.

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_macOS
[2] https://brew.sh
[3] http://www.schoeps.org/home/tag/octave/