Re: unable to install netcdf package

From: Andrew Friedman
Subject: Re: unable to install netcdf package
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 06:38:06 -0700 (MST)

> Have you installed octave via some package manager (yum?), then you
> should also install netcdf this way. If it's not available you have to
> install the octave-devel-* packages (via yum) which provides mkoctfile
> and libs needed to build forge packages.

> Obviously you also have to install the dependencies yourself. configure
> tells you which one are needed but aren't found:

> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGraphicsMagick++
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGraphicsMagick
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lqrupdate

Unfortunately I'm on a shared system where I don't have permission to
install yum, or to install these libraries in the standard locations.

I was able to download and install qrupdate and GraphicsMagick in
/$HOME/lib/
However, the octave-forge installer still doesn't locate these directories
during the package installation, even after adding $HOME/lib/ to $PATH and
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Are there other settings I should modify so that the libraries are
recognized? Or perhaps try a different way to install the packages than from
within octave?

Thanks for any suggestions - I'm still quite new to linux and software
installation.
-Andrew