Citing Octave in Publication

From: Elena Tsomko
Subject: Citing Octave in Publication
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 18:21:15 +0900

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing a brief book on basics of algorithms and coding,

mostly devoted to the principles of algorithms, logical control structures, etc., with a lot of examples, including pseudocodes.

The last section in my book includes examples on real programming with Octave.

There will be about 9-10 pages with examples of codes for simple problems to perform some calculations, from basic arithmetic to an easy statistical one, and building some linear graphs.

I have checked about the GFDL and it states:

"The GNU Free Documentation License (GNU FDL or simply GFDL) is a copyleft license for free documentation, designed by the Free Software Foundation (FSF) for the GNU Project. It is similar to the GNU General Public License, giving readers the rights to copy, redistribute, and modify (only when without "invariant sections" restrictions) a work and requires all copies and derivatives to be available under the same license. Copies may also be sold commercially, but, if produced in larger quantities (greater than 100), the original document or source code must be made available to the work's recipient.

The GFDL was designed for manuals, textbooks, other reference and instructional materials, and documentation which often accompanies GNU software. However, it can be used for any text-based work, regardless of subject matter."

My question is: what should I do in order to comply with the GNU Free Documentation License?

I start the last section in my book with:

"Octave is a high-level programming language for scientific computing with built-in plotting and visualization tools. The software featuring this programming language is called GNU Octave and it is free software under the terms of the GNU General Public License. It can be downloaded and installed from the following link: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/. Manuals and other documentations can also be found at the homepage of GNU Octave."

Is this citation enough to comply with GFDL or do I have to include something else?

The book is planned to be in electronic version – e-book, with approximately 100~110 pages, where the last 9-10 pages will be devoted to programming in Octave.

Waiting for your reply..

Best regards,

Elena

--