leasqr with bounds

From: mrodrig
Subject: leasqr with bounds
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 20:09:11 -0700 (MST)

Hello,

I am new to the use of octave and I have tried to use the leasqr function
for the adjustment of some experimental data. Given the characteristics of
the adjustment function, some of the parameters to be adjusted must be
within certain limits (since they have a certain physical meaning). I wanted
to use the "bounds" option to limit the possible values that these
parameters can have.

In order to test the operation of the leasqr function I tried with the
following

x=[1:10]
y= [10,8,5.5,3.5,0,1.2,2.5,4.6,7.5,9.8]
F=@(x, p) (p (1) * x .^ 2 + p (2) * x + p (3))
a=1
b=1
c=1
p = [a,b,c];

wt=ones(size(x));
iter=400;
tol=0.000000001;
dFdp="dfdp";
dp=0.001*ones(size(p));
[f, pfit, kvg, iter, corp, covp, stdresid, Z, r2] = leasqr (Temp_bkg,
Int_Prom_bkg, par, F,tol, iter,wt, dp, dFdp);

and gives this results;

f =

   10.8900
    7.2773
    4.5502
    2.7086
    1.7527
    1.6824
    2.4977
    4.1986
    6.7852
   10.2573

pfit =

    0.44280
   -4.94114
   15.38833

kvg = 1
iter =  6

Assuming I want parameter 3 to be within the limit -1 and 1

bounds =[-5,5; -5,5; -1,1 ]

it gives me

[f, pfit, kvg, iter, corp, covp, stdresid, Z, r2] = leasqr (x, y, p, F,tol,
iter,wt, dp, dFdp, bounds)
 CONVERGENCE NOT ACHIEVED!
f =

   10.8516
    7.2616
    4.5519
    2.7225
    1.7732
    1.7041
    2.5153
    4.2067
    6.7783
   10.2302

pfit =

    0.44011
   -4.91026
   15.32171

kvg = 0
iter =  6

As I said, this is a function invented to test the operation.
I have tried with my experimental data and it does not work either.

I expected that by limiting the possible values of parameter 3, the
iterations would give a function that may not be the best, but that has the
parameter 3 with values within the allowed ones

Somebody could help me?

Thanks in advance