Re: "out of memory or dimension too large for Octave's index type"

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: "out of memory or dimension too large for Octave's index type"
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 20:20:31 +0100

>I got this "out of memory or dimension too large for Octave's index
>type" issue when I was trying to create a matrix of size 5184 by 3904
>The only thing is that the octave program has been running for a
>while. But I've cleared all the variables by running 'clear all'
>command and results of 'whos' command show no variable exists in local
>workspace.
>
>The version of octave is 4.2.1 32 bit, OS is Windows 7 64bit. I
>understand that switching to octave 64bit might solve this issue, but
>it is not a viable solution for my current situation.

The size of the matrix is 160MB, nothing to do with 64 bit indexing.

As far as I can remember, this may have to do with memory fragmentation
under Windows.  I am sure Windows users can be more specific, and that
if you look for that keyword you should find earlier explanations, but I
suspect that rebooting the system will help at least for a while.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107