Re: Glyphs of Fonts for Special Characters in Octave Fail

From: stimits
Subject: Re: Glyphs of Fonts for Special Characters in Octave Fail
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 23:46:54 +0000 (UTC)

Btw, sorry about my top-posting, it's what my web mail does...otherwise quotes get mixed up....also my typo of "symx x" which should be "syms x":
syms x
sqrt(x)
sqrt(1/x)
1/sqrt(x)

Yes, this is what I am talking about...copy and paste shows the character is there (the numeric value), but the display is incorrect in octave (the parts which are extended character set glyphs). It isn't an issue with the operating system per se since pasting into a new window of another application set to the same (or even different) font works.

I am using Fedora, this extends then to Ubuntu. Anyone else able to reproduce this on any different system, e.g., a Windows user? Or other Linux distributions? Does anyone see the command window display correctly for the radical?

Note: Octave is using the correct character, whoever developed the character rendering code may be different from development of the symbolic package since many numeric calculations do not require rendering an extended character...I guess what I am wondering is if this displayed correctly for whoever built the symbolic package...if so, then I am wondering if developers saw this work correctly by virtue of running on Windows?

Can anyone with Windows octave/symbolic who can verify? Does symbolic display correctly for anyone on any o/s?