Re: error: support for URL transfers was disabled when Octave was built

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: error: support for URL transfers was disabled when Octave was built
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 07:54:18 -0700 (MST)

Emlyn Jose wrote
> Hi,
>
> I have posted a bug yesterday but there is no response.
>
> I am trying to install Octave-Symbolic in my Redhat6 Environment and
> getting the below error:
>
> + octave --no-window-system --eval 'pkg install -forge symbolic'
> error: support for URL transfers was disabled when Octave was built
>
> The tar ball was downloaded from "https://github.com/cbm755/
> octsympy/releases/download/v2.6.0/symbolic-2.6.0.tar.gz".
>
> The above command was run inside the source after untaring it.
> Did I miss anything here?
>

> Kindly help to rectify this.
>

> Regards,
>
> Emlyn Jose

I think the error says it all: "support for URL transfers was disabled when
Octave was built".
The RedHat package you are using has curl related functions disabled, so you
can't use the "-forge" option to install a package. Since you have
downloaded the package this option is not necessary. Instead you should run

cd where/you/downloaded/package
pkg install symbolic-2.6.0.tar.gz

Does this work?

Pantxo