compiling octave fails on building flex

From: Marshall Floyd
Subject: compiling octave fails on building flex
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 21:33:17 -0700

I have tried building mxe-octave in Ubuntu (in Virtual Box) with the intent of eventually cross compiling for Windows, but I'd be happy if I could get a linux version. I want many of the bug fixes and enhancements in the development version. I have used instructions from http://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer, http://wiki.octave.org/MXE, and http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems. Compilation fails while building flex. How can I fix the problem with building flex, or compile octave using the installed version of flex? I've tried a few things to avoid building flex, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that, e.g. ./configure --without-flex or make PKG_EXCLUDE='flex', and other variations. I can't find it now, but I've seen a partial answer on the help email list to a similar problem of setting some make option or looking at one of the .mk files for guidance suggesting that building make shouldn't have to be done. How can I do that?