Re: solution for instrument-control, GPIB on windows.

From: Pantxo Diribarne
Subject: Re: solution for instrument-control, GPIB on windows.
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 12:34:13 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for the information.
Note that gpib, formerly hpib, is an open standard (ieee-488.2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE-488) so linux-gpib is not "based on
national instruments library", it simply implements the very same API.

Pantxo

Not trying to start a mail war (for this reason, I did not include the octave-help), but there is a difference between the bus and the API.
I do agree that the bus and the protocol are open standards. This is however independent from the programming API.
The NI API is the defacto industry standard. Even HP/Agilent/keysight acknowledges this fact.
A quick look at the linux-gpib homepage would have shown you that the library does not implement a GPIB bus, but provides the NI API to the GPIB bus.

No war to be expected since you are right :-). I am adding the help list again or the thread will be left with a wrong statement. Indeed the standard specifies the protocol and the bus, but *not the API*, and indeed linux-gpib implemented the same API as NI.

Sorry,

Pantxo