Re: histogram with logscale ...

From: Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Subject: Re: histogram with logscale ...
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 09:10:40 +0100

Dear listmembers,
der Panxto,
thank you for the hint - well, as I use the octave version 4.2.1 right now
this is working for me as well!

However, due to other similar issues/problems with the graphical
representation I could achieve I dumped a set of gnuplot commands into a file
now and did directly what I wanted to do.

It is a user friendly approach to try to hide the actual graphical interface
of a secondary tool from the user in order to allow him to learn one single
language only. However there ought to be a means for dumping the commands
controlling the secondary tool into i.e. a data- and a plotfile on request
IMHO.

By the way: this has to exist anyway as this is mandatory in order to print
for example with gnuplot. And whether one pipes something to an application or
writes into a file ought to be not a big thing.

Such issues like the one discussed right now (and several more I've been
stumbling across during the last years) could be solved on the direct way,
then.

Neither gnuplot nor octave are perfect when it comes to achieving printouts
the way one needs them. However it becomes very difficult if the tweaks for
tool "A" you are aware of are kind of hidden behind a meta language within
tool "B" so you cannot access them the direct way.

My 2 cents only.

Thanks again,
best regards

Dieter Jurzitza

Am Donnerstag, 30. November 2017, 05:53:08 schrieb Pantxo:
******

> The problem is that bars (actually patch objects) are drawn with 0 as bottom
> y coordinates. Here is a hack that works for me in 4.2.1 (but not in the
> latest dev version strangely):
>
> data = rand (5,3);
> h = bar (data)
>
> ## Get the patch objects and replace 0 coordinates by the minimal value you
> want to be displayed
> ymin = 1e-3;
*******

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza                    76131 Karlsruhe