Matlab (.mat) files format

From: dariodematties
Subject: Matlab (.mat) files format
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 17:10:53 -0700 (MST)

Hello People,

I am working in a cluster, then (at least for now) I am obliged to use
matlab.
When I save .mat files in octave, it is pretty easy to edit them with any
editor you have (like vim).
I manipulate those files with c++ programs in order to interact with octave
and with its visualization capabilities, analysis tools, computations, etc.
Now, using matlab I have realized that when you want to save a mat file and
then you try to edit it,
the characters in the in it are a kind of mess.
Why is that? Compression?
And -the most important point- How can I avoid it and save the files in a
the way octave saves them?

I have try to save them without compression, but the option seems to be not
recognized:

>> save AudioVector.mat a -v7.3 -nocompression
Error using save
Unknown command option.

The version of matlab available is

>> ver
MATLAB Version: 8.6.0.267246 (R2015b)

Operating System: Linux 2.6.32-696.10.3.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Sep 21
12:12:50 EDT 2017 x86_64
Java Version: Java 1.7.0_60-b19 with Oracle Corporation Java HotSpot(TM)
64-Bit Server VM mixed mode
MATLAB                                                Version 8.6
(R2015b)
Curve Fitting Toolbox                                 Version 3.5.2
(R2015b)
Image Processing Toolbox                              Version 9.3
(R2015b)
Parallel Computing Toolbox                            Version 6.7
(R2015b)

Thanks!