Re: Problems to use symbolic first time

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: Problems to use symbolic first time
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 22:07:10 -0800

On 2017-11-05 04:27 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Sat, Nov 04, 2017 at 18:50:44 -0400, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
Colin: I thought installing Symbolic was supposed to throw an error if
python wasn't installed. No?

It was changed from an install time test to a runtime test for Python.
Yes, this means you can now install the package and think everything is
fine until you try to use it.

Thank you both for helping with this thread!

Mike is right on both counts. The decision for a run-time test was made at https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/issues/413, in part because of issues on Windows and Mac.

And I thought the lc
line 123 perl warnings were cleaned up with a patch...no?

There is a patch but it needs to be applied to Perl. Perl is part of the
msys project that Octave's Windows build is built with.

These warnings will be cleaned up when we either update to msys2, update
Perl some other way, or patch the ancient version of Perl that we are
using.

+1, would love to see this fixed.

Colin