Re: PIN diode newton sec1d problem

From: Tom
Subject: Re: PIN diode newton sec1d problem
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 09:55:22 +0000

On 01/11/17 14:17, Tijmen Kroezen wrote:
Hello everyone,

There is some trouble I am having concerning the modeling of a PIN diode (code in the attachments), that would be nice if someone with some more knowledge could help.

My approach has been to alter the PN diode code included in the example and let a Newton secs1d solver solve this (I have also tried Gummel, but I was advised that Newton works better for PIN), but unfortunately this hasn't produced any results yet. The PIN diode is supposed to be 180 um long with three segments of 60 um. I don't have a specific doping strength in mind so I took the values 1e16 for both the P and N parts as a start.

Unfortunately my code still produces the following errors:

>> newtonPIN
warning: matrix singular to machine precision
warning: called from
    secs1d_dd_newton at line 69 column 11
    newtonPIN at line 121 column 28
error: bimu_bernoulli: invalid conversion from NaN to logical
error: called from
    bimu_bernoulli at line 45 column 11
    bim1a_advection_diffusion at line 99 column 13
    secs1d_dd_newton>residual_jacobian at line 129 column 7
    secs1d_dd_newton at line 83 column 22
    newtonPIN at line 121 column 28

I have tried using a finer mesh, I am starting from zero bias, so I guess the only thing that might be the problem is my initial guess but I don't know what other guess to use. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance,

Best regards,

Tijmen Kroezen
Student Applied Physics TU Delft