program for continued fractions without using rat

From: naryana.shankara
Subject: program for continued fractions without using rat
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 16:47:27 -0700 (MST)

Continued fractions take the following form
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t371797/Screenshot_2017-09-14_17-43-33.png>

where a 1 is an integer and a 2 , a 3 , . . . , a n are positive integers.
Many of the most famous
irrational numbers can be expressed as infinite continued fraction
expansions. Truncating
these expansions after a relatively few terms often gives an excellent
approximation to the
irrational number.
(a) Write a function that computes the continued fraction expansion for a
given array (or
vector) of numbers a j , j = 1, 2, . . . , n. Your code should take as input
an array containing
the continued fraction coefficients a j and return the value x using formula
in (1).

here is my code so far:
clc
n = 8;
p = '1';
for r = 1:n;
    p = (r+(1/r))
end

I know I need to write a function, but I'm starting simple.