Re: Octave 4.2 under Ubuntu 16.04

From: Milton Arbogast
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2 under Ubuntu 16.04
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 21:02:09 +0100

> Has anyone had experience/success compiling and running
> Octave 4.2 under Ubuntu 16.04 ("Xenial Xerus")?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
>       - E. Terray

Dear E. Terray,

compiling and running octave 4.2 on 16.04 is straight forward using
configure, make. I have it running here. Depending on what functionality
you want, you need to install or you can skip some packages. Here is
list of packages that will get you started, but some functionality will
not be available, for example HDF5 support. At the end of a configure
run, there is a detailed description of functionalities that are or will
not be available. I recommend you use --prefix to specify a directory of
your choice for the installation

g++
gfortran
libamd2.4.1
libarpack++2-dev
libatlas-dev
libblas-dev
libcolamd2.9.1
libccolamd2.9.1
libcholmod3.0.6
libcurl3
libcurl4-openssl-dev
libcxsparse3.1.4
libfftw3-dev
libfltk1.3
libfltk1.3-dev
libfontconfig1-dev
libfreetype6
libfreetype6-dev
libgl2ps-dev
libglpk-dev
liblapack-dev
libpcre3
libpcre3-dev
libqhull-dev
libqrupdate-dev
libqt4-dev
libqscintilla2-dev
libxft-dev
libreadline6-dev
libsuitesparse-dev
libumfpack5.7.1
pstoedit
curl
epstool
fontconfig
gnuplot
libgraphicsmagick++1-dev
transfig

TexLive is not installed via package manager on my system, but manually
and thus I had to also manually compile texinfo.

Kind regards,
Milton