Re: Octave 4.2 under Ubuntu 16.04

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2 under Ubuntu 16.04
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 20:29:17 +0100

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 5:45 PM, E. Terray <address@hidden> wrote:
> The Octave package maintained by Ubuntu for 16.04
> (64-bit LTS) is Octave version 4.0.0.
>
> Has anyone had experience/success compiling and running
> Octave 4.2 under Ubuntu 16.04 ("Xenial Xerus")?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
>      - E. Terray

> *                                                       *
> *      Dr. Eugene A. Terray <address@hidden>      *
> *      Dept. Applied Ocean Physics and Engineering      *
> *      Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution             *
> *      MS-11,  217 Bigelow,   Woods Hole, MA 02543      *
> *      (508) 289-2438 (voice)  (774) 392-0070 (cell)    *
> *      (508) 457-2194 (fax)                             *

Hi E.

I compile Octave development branch and stable every week in the
latest version of Ubuntu. I never found a problem.
Make sure you first install dependencies, and then add all the missing
packages that the configure script will point you to, e.g. sometimes
libscintilla is missing.

Also you can use the stable ppa
https://launchpad.net/~octave/+archive/ubuntu/stable

but there hasn't been much updates lately. I guess Mike is busy.