Re: Octave Licensing

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Octave Licensing
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 17:40:13 +0100

Am 1. Februar 2017 13:33:39 MEZ schrieb "Pereira, Gustavo " <address@hidden>:
>Hi guys, how are you?
>
>We are excited to test and use Octave from here, could you help us on
>the doubt below?
>
>Would like to confirm if there is any licensing concerns/restrictions
>in using Octave within a company (without commercial support - John W.
>Eaton Consulting, Inc. or MOXOFF as options explained at
>https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html).
>
>We have read the documentation available and understand that GNU Octave
>is free to use under this condition.
>
>Could you please kindly confirm if we have any misunderstanding?
>
>Thank you very much for your assistance.
>
>Gustavo Pereira

>Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic
>communications disclaimer:
>http://www.credit-suisse.com/legal/en/disclaimer_email_ib.html

Hi,

Octave is free software. You may *use* it for any purpose.

Licensing becomes more complicated than this as soon as you want to distribute
"derivative work". Simply put, this means you distribute either a modified
version of Octave or programs which use the Octave Api (not m-files which use
the script language).

Further reading:
http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#Licensing_issues
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html