have headers & libs, but cannot configure/make

From: Chris Roat
Subject: have headers & libs, but cannot configure/make
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 15:49:42 -0800

I am cross compiling and defining CC/CPP/CXX/etc, using static libraries.

First problem: I have the pcre headers & libs present, and use -I in CCFLAGS/CPPFLAGS and -L in LDFLAGS to point to them.  Configure still gives up the ghost.  (My workaround is to simply delete part of the PCRE section in 'configure' and hardcode the PCRE_LIBS.)

includes="-I${include_path}/pcre "
libs="-L${lib_path}/prce"
export CCFLAGS="--sysroot=$rt_top --m64 -mcld ${includes}"
export CPPFLAGS="--sysroot=$rt_top -m64 -mcld ${includes}"
export LDFLAGS="--sysroot=$rt_top -m64 -mcld -lstdc++ -fopenmp ${libs}"

checking pcre.h usability... yes
checking pcre.h presence... yes
checking for pcre.h... yes
checking pcre/pcre.h usability... no
checking pcre/pcre.h presence... no
checking for pcre/pcre.h... no
checking whether pcre.h defines the macros we need... yes
checking for pcre-config... yes
checking for pcre_compile... no
configure: error: to build Octave, you must have the PCRE library and header files installed

Secondly, once I get configure to work by passing in all the include directories and libraries (using lots and lots of --with-xxx flags), I still seem need to the libraries all again in LDFLAGS.    For example, the octave-cli target is made without referencing any library I passed into configure's flags.

I feel like I missed some basic instruction, flag, or other step.  Thanks in advance for any tips.

./configure \
  --enable-option-checking \
  --disable-silent-rules \
  --disable-dl \