Re: Path error in Octave

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Path error in Octave
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 11:28:45 -0800

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 10:05:03 -0800, ymzkala wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1. I successfully installed Octave 4.2.0 to C:\Octave.
> 2. I can open the GUI and evaluate simple commands.

So far so good.

> 3. I can install packages if they are downloaded (using "pkg install
> xyz.tar.gz"), but I can't list them using "pkg_list". However, I can run
> "pkg local_list" which returns an empty string and "pkg global_list" which
> returns my current list of packages.

"pkg_list" is not a command, it's "pkg list". "pkg local_list" and "pkg
global_list" should return the same strings that you saw when you
stepped into pkg with the debugger. If "pkg global_list" is returning
something that is not just a single file name, then something is wrong.

> 4. "path" does not work. "pwd" works and it returns "C:\Octv" (a folder I
> made).

What exactly does "does not work" mean? Does it do nothing? Does Octave
exit? Does it print an error? Are you just calling "path" or "path with
some arguments"?

As to the original error,

|| 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
|| operable program or batch file.

this can only occur when Octave is shelling out to run an external
command.

What is the value of the PATH environment variable? This is not the same
as Octave's path function.

  getenv ("PATH")

Do you have a .octaverc startup file? If so, what's in it?

--
mike