Re: Path error in Octave

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: Path error in Octave
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 03:40:57 -0800 (PST)

ymzkala wrote
> Hi,
>
> I'm a new Octave user, trying to (partially) transition from Matlab.
>
> I installed Octave 4.2.0 for Windows x64. I am using Windows 7. The
> installation folder is C:\Octave. I have a problem when I try to run
> commands like "pkg list" or "path". I get this error:
>
> --
> 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> --
>
> This must be a problem with spaces in that path. I checked that the
> OCTAVE_HOME and EXEC_PATH variables have no spaces in them. I don't know
> why Octave is looking in "C:\Program Files...".
>
> Maybe other users have encountered this. How do I troubleshoot this?
>
> Thanks,
> Yahia

The error message you are facing is not Octave related [1], something in
your Windows (maybe invoked by Octave?) goes wrong. To get your situation
right:

1. You successfully installed Octave 4.2.0 to C:\Octave?
2. You can run the GUI and evaluate simple commands like `1+1`, etc.?
3. You can neither install any packages `pkg install xyz` nor list them `pkg
list`?
4. The command `path` does not work either, does `pwd` (current working
directory) work?

Basically the `pkg` command queries these two directories:

local_list = tilde_expand (fullfile ("~", ".octave_packages"));
global_list = fullfile (OCTAVE_HOME (), "share", "octave",
"octave_packages");

Do these expand to `C:\Program Files...`? Otherwise you can try

edit pkg

set a breakpoint in the editor and step (F10) through the code until the
error occurs.

HTH,
Kai

[1]: