Re: symbolic package doesn't work

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: symbolic package doesn't work
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 19:51:30 -0700

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 14:48:36 +0000, Manolis Chatzistauridis wrote:
> Hi octave team,
>
> Four days ago I installed the octave 4.0.3 in windows 10 OS. My
> problem is that I was trying to install the symbolic package and I
> advised the online notes. Firstly I downloaded the python interpreter
> and secondly I typed the command "pkg install -forge symbolic". When I
> tested to see if it works then it tells me that python interpreter
> doesn't work or it is not installed. My question is how I can do ??
> work this package and where should  install the interpreter python so
> that access package ??

You can install the Python package anywhere you like. You must "teach"
Octave where Python is installed by either

 1. setting the global PATH environment variable such that "python.exe"
    can run without specifying a full directory path, or
 2. setting the environment variable PYTHON to point to the fully
    specified path to the "python.exe" executable.

I believe the former is described here:

  https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-Windows-installation

I believe the latter is done by running:

  setenv PYTHON 'C:\some\path\to\python\bin\python.exe'

in Octave.

I don't use or have access to Windows to try or verify any of these
tips, but hopefully this helps. If you feel like something is missing
from the octsympy wiki, please add it.

--
mike