Creating 'Forms' in Octave

From: Chip Wachob
Subject: Creating 'Forms' in Octave
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 10:13:55 -0400

Hello,

I'm still very new to the Octave tool, so I apologize if this is a repeat.  I searched the archives but probably didn't use the right keyword..

I'd like to know if there is a simple way of creating a 'form' or dialog box in Octave that would allow me to change the value(s) of various variables, but retain the previous values of others. After changing the input, I'd like to click on a 'button' that would recalculate the results and update a plot window.

The function that I'm using currently requires eight inputs.  I've successfully written a script (using input()) that will allow me to type in those inputs manually, each time, but usually I'm only changing one variable at a time and it sure would be a lot simpler if I could change that variable and 'update' the plot.

I looked at the Java section (Section 37?) but I was not able to get any of the Java commands to work.  It seems that perhaps I'm missing a "Java-Octave" plugin, but when I attempted to install the plugin, it told me the host didn't exist..

If there is an example out there that would allow me to learn how this is done, that would be great.

Can anyone offer up a starting place?  A link to a tutorial or example would be great.

BTW, I don't actually know Java or Python, and I'd prefer not to have to learn it in the midst of learning Octave if I don't have to.

Version 4.0.3.  Both in Windoze and Ubuntu.

Thank you in advance for your help,