Plot function not working

From: ammc
Subject: Plot function not working
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 00:28:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there,

I recently installed Octave on Win10, and the plot function is not working
at all. When I enter a=[1 2 3] followed by plot(a), no plot window launches.
I get the error:

error: 'x2' undefined near line 2 column 9
error: called from
    length at line 2 column 2
    __plt_get_axis_arg__ at line 59 column 8
    plot at line 210 column 23
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: called from
    length at line 2 column 2
    __plt_get_axis_arg__ at line 59 column 8
    plot at line 210 column 23

I've tried following the instructions here
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-does-not-start-gnuplot-td3058677.html#a3059145,
but as they are for the MacBook, I'm not sure they apply. I downloaded
gnuplot and installed in the Octave folder and then changed graphics toolkit
to gnuplot, but when I ran >> getenv("GNUPLOT"), I got >> ans =
I then tried running [status,output]=system(sprintf("which
%s",gnuplot_binary))
but I got back
>>'which' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
status =  127
output =

Can anyone help with this? I really was hoping to be able to use something
other than Matlab!