Re: Matlab to Octave - problem wih the conversion

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Matlab to Octave - problem wih the conversion
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 15:16:39 +0200

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 1:49 PM, Istan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your answer and these informations.
>
> I m a new user of matlab and octave. I m sorry for the bad usage of the term
> Freeware, you are right. I didn't know the term of FOSS, the reason why I
> have used this inappropriate term.
>

> After I have posted, I have tried to find an over way to read my file, until
> this code on Octave :
>

> clear;
> dlmread('1.txt',' ');
> fid = [1,2,lines('400.txt'),5];
>

> the .txt is read and I can see my value. Unfortunately, the text file
> doesn't present always the same amount of space between each value, giving
> this kind of table (example) :
>
> x1     x2    x3     x4    x5    x6      x7      .... x
> 1        0      0     0      0     2        0           0
> 2        0      0     0      3     0        0           0
> 3        0      0     0      0    36       0           0
> 4        0      0     8      0     0        0           0
> 5        0      0     0      0     0        0           5
> 6        0      0     0      3     0        0           0
>
> In the end, I want to do 2 column :
>
> x1     x2
> 1        2
> 2        3
> 3       36
> 4        8
> 5        5
> 6        3
>
> to plot(x1,x2)
>
> I have posted too quickly yesterday, my ask lack of explanation.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Guillaum
>

> --

Lets say you have an example.txt file like what you showed in your
mail (only the 7 first columns).
The following code reads the data
ncols = 7;  # number of columns in file
nhead = 1; # number of header lines here: x1 x2 x3 x4 x5 x6 x7
data = txtread ("example.txt", "%d", "headerlines", nhead);
data = reshape (data, ncols, length(data) / ncols).'
ans =

   1   0   0   0   0   2   0
   2   0   0   0   3   0   0
   3   0   0   0   0  36   0
   4   0   0   8   0   0   0
   5   0   0   0   0   0   0
   6   0   0   0   3   0   0

then you can do

plot (data(:,1), data(:,2))

FOSS : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software

The Terms of Use of the "Matlab file central", which a place to
"share" the code, says in section 2.iii
(http://ch.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/termsofuse.html)

"Content that you submit must not directly compete with products
offered by MathWorks. Content submitted to File Exchange may only be
used with MathWorks products."

I would be surprised to read something similar in the terms of use (or
the user agreement) in the Matlab product or the function used to
generate the relevant code. Please do check and make no assumptions
about the rights you have on the code.