Re: Octave Gui, inaccessible editor with multiple monitors

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Octave Gui, inaccessible editor with multiple monitors
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 15:01:28 -0500

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 13:17:04 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> Just ran into this last night. not sure if there's a good workaround:
>
> At work I run Octave on a laptop with a docking station and a 2-screen
> setup.  Working yesterday, I had the main Octave GUI on the main screen and
> the editor undocked over on the second monitor.  closed octave, undocked
> the laptop, went home.
>
> Opened up Octave later with just the laptop screen, and couldn't find or
> get to the editor window. I selected the Reset Default Window Layout
> option, and the editor reappeared as a Tab behind the command window.
> Undocking it again, it went back to the same unreachable off-screen
> position. Came back into work again this morning, undock the editor,
> grabbed it from the second screen and moved it back to the first one.
>
> can avoid it now, but is this an issue with the Octave GUI or just
> unavoidable when shutting down/reopening with different monitor
> configurations?

Have you tried undocking the editor by dragging its title bar (the
horizontal area labeled "Editor")? I can reproduce your scenario in
Gnome by using the dock/undock icons (except that the editor is moved
back to a primary desktop after I unplug the secondary monitor), but
dragging the editor window by its title bar undocks it and lets the
mouse place it anywhere.

--
mike

Sorry, first point I left out, I'm running Windows 7.  So this could be unique to how Windows handles things.

In Windows, you cannot remove the editor from the main GUI by dragging.  I think this was brought up in another thread. dragging will change it's position in the main GUI window, but if you drag it outside of the main window it just snaps back after releasing the mouse button. The only way to get it outside the main window is with the Undock Widget button.

nick j