Re: problem with OCTAVE WINDOWS out of memory

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: problem with OCTAVE WINDOWS out of memory
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 10:11:16 -0800 (PST)

Marco Mazzucco wrote
> I sent the email before finishing it.. (skip the part in italian,
> please..)
> Anyway, I cannot understand which is the problem..
> I am able to load the same .mat files on FreeMAT without problems,
> and even perform an SVD on the matrix A...
>
> Do you know what is wrong?
>
> My operating system is Windows Professional 64bit.

Do you use Octave-4.0.0 binary installer?
That is a 32-bit program; whether Windows is 64 bit doesn't matter anymore
then.

IIRC on Win XP 32-bit Octave could create matrices of at most ~600 MB; Win 7
may have better memory management but not much better.  If it may comfort
you: Matlab (32bit) was worse here; but newer Matlab is all 64-bit.

Hopefully the next Octave-4.0.1 release will also have a 64-bit version.

Philip