Re: How to change to a hidden directory in Octave

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: How to change to a hidden directory in Octave
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 20:45:53 +0100

On 16.01.2016 17:18, Steven Evans wrote:
> Octave Mailing List Support,
>     I'm a new user of Octave, and am wondering if there's a way to
> change my current directory to a directory that is hidden.  Is this a
> feature that simply doesn't exist?
>     I'm running Octave on Lubuntu 14.04.3 LTS, and am using a 64-bit
> machine.
>     Here's what happens whenever I try to navigate to a hidden
> directory.  If I try to find the directory using the drop down list, the
> directory doesn't show up because it is hidden.

Which drop down list do you mean, the one of the file browser or of the
main window. Both lists only contain directories recently used.

> So I then type the path
> of my directory, at the drop-down prompt, using the standard format for
> hidden directories. In other words, I place a "." at the beginning of
> the name of the directory that is hidden.
>
> Example:  /home/username/.my_hidden_directory
>
>     However, when I click on the "Go" button, nothing happens.

Which button do you mean by "Go" button? Entering the path into the
combo box "Current Directory" and pressing "Enter" changes into the
hidden directory (obviously, there is an issue in synchronizing hidden
dir with the file browser, but this is another issue).

>     If I type the following at the console:
>
> cd /home/username/.my_hidden_directory
>
>     nothing happens.

This works for me.

In the context menu of the file browser's header you can toggle the
optin "Show hidden" in order to display hidden files or not.

Torsten