RE: Plot a map of Europe

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: RE: Plot a map of Europe
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:13:35 -0800 (PST)

Jorgen Sandberg wrote
> Dear Mr Potorti,
>
> Thank you for the mail.
>
> I am trying to make M_Map work with Octave, but I am facing some
> incompatibilities like "verLessThan" can't be found.
>
> Do you know of a way to plot a map of Europe that works with Octave?
>
> Regards,
> Jorgen Sandberg

As of recently there's a new OF mapping package release for Octave that
contains ArcGIS shaperead, shapedraw and geoshow / mapshow functions.
They're still a bit experimental, esp. geoshow / mapshow, but you give it a
try.  And I'd love to get feedback on them (on the bug tracker of patch
tracker).

To get it:

pkg install -forge mapping
pkg load mapping

If you can uncover a map of Europe in .shp format [1] (you'll probably need
the .shp .idx .dbf files but just .shp will do as well) you can then simply
read and plot them:

shp = shaperead (<.shp filename in quotes>);
shapedraw (shp)

or simply (less efficiënt as the map must be read each time):

shapedraw (<.shp filename between quotes>)

The commands

help shaperead
and
help shapedraw

give info on how to call those functions.

Philip

[1] google for "europe shape map"to get e.g.,:
http://www.mapcruzin.com/free-europe-arcgis-maps-shapefiles.htm    (but
maybe too complicated)
http://www.eurogeographics.org/products-and-services/euroboundarymap
etc