Re: More tutorials needed preferably video tutorials

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: More tutorials needed preferably video tutorials
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 13:34:36 -0500

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 07:26:33 +0100, Jonathan Camilleri wrote:
>> May I suggest that we start preparing tutorials and videos on the use of
>> Octave as this would add to its usability and perhaps expand its
>> functionality as we train and test the package?
>>
>> For example, many upload tutorials on www.youtube.com or have sandboxes
>> prepared where video tutorials are displayed depending which is most
>> economical and feasible.
>
> This sounds like a good idea! Please make it happen, or find others to
> help if you wish to see this happen. In case you are not aware,
> everything in the Octave community just takes someone to put forth the
> effort.
>
> Maybe you could start by making a wiki page to coordinate ideas and
> people who are interested in helping.
>
> Best of luck,

Jon, I may have sent you this the other week, but in case I didn't,
there is an Octave wiki located at wiki.octave.org

Video tutorials can be very helpful. Since you're going through the
Octave learning curve now, it could be worthwhile if you'd start a
Wiki page on there and create a notional list of particular video
topics that would be worthwhile. Especially starting with the earlier
things that gave you trouble that may seem obvious to those of us who
have been using the software for some time.  Especially, since the
GUI, editor, and debugger are new to this version, there are surely a
lot of things that could be explained better that aren't apparent to
us.  We also generally get people using Octave who are familiar with
using Matlab, so it may be that we rely too much on the existing
Matlab tutorial material out there, and capturing your experiences
with where that's insufficient could be valuable.

Nick J.