Re: Re: More tutorials needed preferably video tutorials

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Re: More tutorials needed preferably video tutorials
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:28:57 -0500

On 11/10/2015 10:51 AM, Macy wrote:
Commercialization? Bow your head in shame.
Octave has been an open source and free, making it not only available but
EXTREMELY usable. To me, it's main competitor is python which in side by side
comparisons [me using octave and a friend using python] outstripped the
capabilities of octave.

My point is that commercialization, to me, would ruin octave, rendering it not attractive
to use, thus loss all around. However, I posit if monies need to be raised, 'voluntary'
contributions such as "if you find this useful, please donate to its support."
which I have responded to willingly, because I used their 'service' a lot and was NEVER
disappointed in results.

My point is, please don't commercialize octave.

Please don't confuse commercial (money changing hands) and proprietary (non-free licensing).

There is nothing shameful about commercial uses of Octave, or expecting to be paid for work done to develop and support Octave. That's how I try to make a living.

If you want a commercial version of Octave, or commercial support for Octave, I will gladly sell it to you. In fact, please contact me ASAP, because I need the money.

OTOH, a proprietary version of Octave will never happen.

jwe