Re: Install package to read xls files

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Install package to read xls files
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 06:13:24 -0500

On Nov 4, 2015 4:43 AM, "Lester Anderson" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have downloaded the package io-2.2.11.tar to read Excel files but am not sure how to add the package to Octave 4 (Windows).
>
> I tried pkg install io-2.2.11 but it did not work
>
> Any pointers

1. if you are going to do a manual download/install I believe you need to use the full filename including  the .tar

2. You also need to make sure that octave is currently working in the same place you saved the file. You can use the file/folder tree in the upper left of the octave window to change folder. Alternatively you can use the cd command to change directory and the pwd command to tell you where you currently are.

3. If you have a network connection you can use the automated process:

>> pkg install -forge io
Followed by
>> pkg load io

Or

>> pkg install -auto -forge io

The -auto will set it to load every time you start Octave. The default behavior is that you have you load packages every time.

Hope this helps. Any further problems please write back with the specific steps you took and copy/paste any error messages so we don't have to guess about what went wrong.

Nick J.