Re: Octave: Question on running parallel package on linux HPC cluster

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Octave: Question on running parallel package on linux HPC cluster
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 21:00:18 +0200

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 05:57:17PM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:

> On 14 Sep 2015, at 16:05, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I'm not familiar with qsub (gridengine?), but it has a different
> > concept and you don't need the parallel package for it.
>
> Actually qsub is part of the Torque resource manager:
>
> http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/products/open-source/torque/
>
> usually on clusters using a job scheduler / resource manager you
> need qsub to launch any job, be it serial of parallel.
>
> So if you want to have multiple cores to run a parallel Octave
> script using either the parallel or mpi package you will need
> to write any instructions needed to run your script in a submission
> file then launch it through qsub.
>
> HTH,
> c.

So I should correct myself: The parallel package might be usable in
this case, but I can't give much detailed advice since I don't know
this qsub system. So the OP probably has to work out the details
himself, using the documentation in 'parallel'. parcellfun/pararrayfun
might be usable, or, if the nodes should have separate ip-addresses (I
don't know this), netcellfun/netarrayfun. But in the latter case
pserver would have to be started at each node first; if the nodes are
not accessible by anyone else as long as the pservers run, TLS might
not be necessary, but the OP has to assess this.

Olaf