Re: Show editor and command window at same time?

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Show editor and command window at same time?
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 22:27:12 +0200

Torsten wrote:
On 02.09.2015 21:01, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
Chuck37 wrote
I just pulled Octave for the first time in a long time and am very happy
that there is an integrated editor.  I'm running on windows.  My workflow
in matlab always involves being able to see the editor and command window
at the same time, so I can paste back and forth, among other things.  I
can't see how to do this in Octave.  Is it possible?  Clicking the run
icon and seeing nothing until I pick the command window tab is fairly
annoying.  Thanks.

On Windows you cannot pull the editor pane; but in the top right corner
there's a button that will undock the editor.  I'll try to attach a pic
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4672420/undock_editor.png>

Philip

There is a preference whether the focus should go to the command window
after a command was launched from another widget.

Philip, it is really not possible to drag the editor and place it
(within the main-window) side by side with the command window?

Sure, on Windows, any pane can be easily dragged anywhere *within* the Octave window, just like in Matlab. That's why I figured the OP had troubles to get it outside the Octave window - in Octave that isn't so obvious to get together.

A return question to you:
Is it (still) really completely impossible on Windows to drag any pane outside the Octave window? (ISTR we discussed this some years ago, maybe in some bug report)

Philip