Re: changing terminal size

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: changing terminal size
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 17:32:29 +0200

>On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 20:07:52 +0200, Francesco Potortì wrote:
>> Probably the clean solution would be to not using readline for getting
>> terminal width and height, if possible.
>
>We could add a fallback to get the terminal size directly if readline
>is disabled, but IMHO we should also definitely add support for
>overriding the terminal size with COLUMNS and LINES regardless.
>
>> However, there is fundamental question: why ever is --no-line-editing
>> needed at all?  I just tried modifying octave-inf.el to call Octave
>> without it, and apparently all is well, the columns behave as they
>> should and all the resta s well...
>
>I don't know, that's a question for the Emacs devs who work on the
>Octave mode. You might have better luck asking on an emacs list. I
>suspect it's because Emacs wants to be in charge of line editing,
>history, completion, etc, and maybe there is some interference or
>other reason to want to disable readline in the target program.
>
>We talked about all of this a while ago on Debian #675509 [1] where
>you proposed that Octave mode should not be based on comint mode. I
>have no opinion or insight into what any of that means, but it is
>still based on comint mode today and does still set the
>--no-line-editing option. IMHO taking this up with the maintainers of
>the Octave mode script is the best way forward.
>
>[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=675509

No, in fact I was telling that --no-line-editing is required by comint.
But I have now run Octave for some days in inferior octave mode under
Emacs for some days and I see no problem.  So maybe --no-line-editing is
just not necessary.  I'll try to contact Kurt Hornik, wh is listed as
maintainer of octave-inf.el.

Thanks for helping me clarify the problem.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107