Re: Sourceforge adding adware to software will we be moving to github?

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Sourceforge adding adware to software will we be moving to github?
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 23:10:43 +0100

On 15 June 2015 at 12:47:10 -0400, RT <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sourceforge is under new management and is adding adware to software
> packages will octave be moving to github?
>
> http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/sourceforge-grabs-gimp-for-windows-account-wraps-installer-in-bundle-pushing-adware/
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/2929732/open-source-software/sourceforge-commits-reputational-suicide.html
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/29/gimp-sourceforge-fight/

No.  There is no plan to move Octave github.

  1. Octave does not uses Sourceforge at all.  Only Octave Forge does.

  2. github hosts git repositories.  github does not offer hosting of
  releases.  Note: github supports download of a tarball of the repository
  with a specific tag.  However, that does suit many Octave Forge packages.

  3. the issue with sourceforge is that they are bundling extra stuff on
  installers.  Octave packages are source releases and are therefore not
  affected by this.  Note: Octave Forge previously released windows and
  mac installers.  This is no longer the case since the 4.0.0 release.

  4. github is a proprietary platform.  We are aware that sourceforge is
  also proprietary.  This situation arised because of our dependency on
  a proprietary platform.  Moving to another proprietary platform is risking
  the same problem later on.

There is however, discussion about moving Octave Forge somewhere else.
Please follow this discussion on the maintainers mailing list [1].

Carnë

[1]
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/We-need-to-talk-about-SourceForge-td4670942.html