IEEE standard for interval arithmetic approved

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: IEEE standard for interval arithmetic approved
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 07:35:43 +0200

Hello,

I am happy to announce that IEEE 1788, the standard for interval arithmetic, was approved as a new standard on June 11. It will remain active for ten years.

The standard document will soon be published, probably within the next weeks.

AFAIK, Octave has the first complete implementation which is conforming to this standard. If you ever wanted to examine interval arithmetic—now is the time! You can get the interval package from Octave Forge [1].

The current version is already feature complete, but a version 1.0.0 of the interval package will be released soon, to reflect this important milestone. I recommend to also include the upcoming version in mxe builds of Octave or any downstream distributions.

The interval package will also be presented during OctConf 2015 [2].

Oliver

[1] http://octave.sourceforge.net/interval/
[2] http://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2015

P.S. If you are interested in a revised version of IEEE 754, the standard for floating point arithmetic, a working group is going to form soon to work on that topic before the standard becomes inactive in 2018.