Re: Octave 4 installer doesn't detect JRE at install time

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave 4 installer doesn't detect JRE at install time
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 05:37:58 -0700 (PDT)

Will wrote
> Hi all,
>
> Today I downloaded and installed the Octave 4.0 release from here
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/, but got a warning about not
> detecting the java runtime environment. This was true - it wasn't
> installed, so I went and grabbed the JRE and JDK (64-bit, version 8
> update 45), rebooted windows, and tried to install Octave again. But,
> the installer still threw the warnings about not detecting the JRE. I
> accepted all the defaults during installation of the JRE and JDK, and
> installed in the standard path (C:/Program Files/Java/jre1.8.0_45). Any
> idea what I need to do to get Octave to detect the JRE at install time?
> The Java integration was something I was quite looking forward to!
>
> Thanks in advance (hope I'm not missing the obvious!)

What does (in the Octave terminal)

system ("java -version")

tell you?

If you get an error, try to open a cmd window (usually in Start Menu |
Accessories) and enter
java  -version
there.

(BTW just to be sure - did you install Octave in a path without spaces? the
installer should check that, but ...)

Philip