Re: Octave 4 installer doesn't detect JRE at install time

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Octave 4 installer doesn't detect JRE at install time
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 15:09:29 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: Will <>
> To: help> Cc:
> Date: 2015/6/6, Sat 10:48
> Subject: Re: Octave 4 installer doesn't detect JRE at install time
>
> I did reboot the computer. For a bit more information, I also just tried
> setting
> the JAVA_HOME environment variable to  C:/Program Files/Java/jre1.8.0_45, and
> this actually got rid of the warning message when running the installer, but
> when testing things out when running Octave, commands like
> 'javaclasspath' and  's = javaObject ("java.lang.String",
> "Hello OctaveString")' as recommended in the wiki, they return
> "error: unable to find Java Runtime Environment:
> software\javasoft\java runtime environment::Currentversion".
>
> - Will
>

> On 6/5/2015 9:06 PM, address@hidden wrote:
>>>  Hi all,
>>>
>>>  Today I downloaded and installed the Octave 4.0 release from here
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/, but got a warning about not
> detecting
> the java runtime environment. This was true - it wasn't installed, so I went
> and grabbed the JRE and JDK (64-bit, version 8 update 45), rebooted windows,
> and
> tried to install Octave again. But, the installer still threw the warnings
> about
> not detecting the JRE. I accepted all the defaults during installation of the
> JRE and JDK, and installed in the standard path (C:/Program
> Files/Java/jre1.8.0_45). Any idea what I need to do to get Octave to detect
> the
> JRE at install time? The Java integration was something I was quite looking
> forward to!
>>>
>>>  Thanks in advance (hope I'm not missing the obvious!)
>>>
>>>  - Will
>>  I have not experienced the jre detection problem. Did you reboot your
> computer after the jre was installed?
>>
>>  Tatsuro

On the octave ML top-posting is not preferable, please use the bottom-posting.
(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style)
This is a custom in the octave ML.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

s = javaObject ("java.lang.String", "Hello OctaveString")

worked for me on octave 4.0.0 on windows 7.

>> s = javaObject ("java.lang.String", "Hello OctaveString")
s =

<Java object: java.lang.String>

Mmmmm,

Something should be wrong in your environments but I cannot find what is
something.
Tatsuro