Re: print produces strange results (4.0.0-rc2, Win7)

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: print produces strange results (4.0.0-rc2, Win7)
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 10:31:15 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: tmacchant
> To: help-octave
> Date: 2015/4/10, Fri 23:16
> Subject: Re: print produces strange results (4.0.0-rc2, Win7)

> 1) Try using graphics_backend("gnuplot") and cairo based
> terminals ("wxr", "qt", "pdfcairo",
> "pngcairo").
>
> 2) Try using UTF characters directly (i.e. instead of ylabel
> ("\\Omega")
>   use ylabel("Ω"))
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Dmitri
>
> The gnuplot bundled with the current octave binary does not support cairo
> based nor qt terminal.  To use cairo based terminal, you should download and
> install the gnuplot from the gnuplot official web site.  You should set
> gnuplot_binary that points to the full path to which the gnuplot from
> official web site is installed.  For current octave. I recommend to use
> version 4.6.6 but not 5.0.0.

The gnuplot official web site:
http://www.gnuplot.info/

 Version 4.6 Release
  Download from SourceForge

Download 32 bit or 64 bit version according to your PC environment.

Install binary where you want. I strongly recommend to install it  to the
folder whose full-path does not have any white space.

Ex.
   C:\Program Files\gnuplot : not recommended
   C:\Programs\gnuplot      : recommended

Test:
  >> gnuplot_binary C:\Programs\gnuplot\bin\gnuplot.exe
  >> setenv GNUTERM wxt
  >> plot ([0:10],[0:10].^2)

If you want to the above default, add the below in the end of
C:\octave\Octave-4.0.0-rc2\share\octave\4.0.0-rc2\m\startup\octaverc

gnuplot_binary C:\Programs\gnuplot\bin\gnuplot.exe

setenv GNUTERM wxt

Hope this helps.

Tatsuro