Re: Command not working.

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Command not working.
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:20:05 -0400

On Aug 28, 2014, at 9:12 PM, Kunal Goswami <address@hidden> wrote:

> Respected Sir/Madam, I am using a macbook pro running os x mavericks version
> 10.9.4, I installed octave from the wiki using the home-brew instructions.
> And the problem is whenever I try to use ‘help’ command it displays the
> following error.
>
> error: unable to open
> /usr/local/Cellar/octave/3.8.1/share/octave/3.8.1/etc/macros.texi for reading
> error: called from:
> error:
> /usr/local/Cellar/octave/3.8.1/share/octave/3.8.1/m/help/__makeinfo__.m at
> line 103, column 5
> error:   /usr/local/Cellar/octave/3.8.1/share/octave/3.8.1/m/help/help.m at
> line 99, column 22
>

> Kindly tell me what to do to resolve it, and use the help command as normal.
> Thanking you in anticipation,
> Kunal Goswami

I have built Octave on Mavericks and have installed it via Macports. I can
confirm that the help command does works in each case.

It is likely that you don't have the necessary dependencies installed.  To
install Octave, did you omit the docs?

        brew install octave --without-docs

If so, you'll need to reinstall with the docs and you'll also need to install a
TeX distribution that is compatible with Homebrew.  I did a quick Google search
and found the link below.  It appears that the Homebrew maintainers are working
on the Octave formula and are looking for testers.

        https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/pull/723

I suggest you follow up with them.

Ben