Re: make hangs at pkg install on octave 3.8.x on win 7 64 bit

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: make hangs at pkg install on octave 3.8.x on win 7 64 bit
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 08:50:28 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: rocketsound
> To: address@hidden
> Date: 2014/8/21, Thu 23:30
> Subject: Re: make hangs at pkg install on octave 3.8.x on win 7 64 bit
>
>t macchant wrote
>>  I have installed mxe-octave 3.8.2 and tried "pkg install"
>>
>>  pkg install failes because make command hangs.
>>  octave:1> cd C:\octave\Octave-3.8.2\src
>>  octave:2> pkg install general-1.3.4.tar.gz
>>        0 [main] make 5968 handle_exceptions: Exception:
>>  STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>>     1934 [main] make 5968 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
>>  make.exe.stackdump
>>
>>  This happened two different PC working on Win 7 64 bit.
>
> Hmm, thats odd. I first expected you need to run Octave with admin
> privileges because I always do that, but trying the same installtion
> procedure with a fresh Octave 3.8.2 (obtained from here
> http://mxeoctave.osuv.de) and without admin privileges did finish with the
> same results. For me pkg install is working perfectly fine and I get the
> following output during installation:

OK. On your system, pkg install works without problem.
On the two PCs that I failed to use pkg install, I could execute pkg install at
one month before.
I suspected the Octave 3.8.2 is the origin of the issue.
But the same error happened on octave-3.8.1 on which I could execute pkg
install.

Perhaps some changes in the my PCs (at least two) happened and caused the
"make" hang up.

>>  warning: creating installation directory
>>  C:\Octave\Octave-3.8.2\share\octave\packages
>
> I'm using Windows 7 64-Bit and the installer version of MXE-Octave 3.8.2. I
> can't say anything to the second part of your message because I'm not
> familiar with this subject (using mysy etc.).

The "make" command used in octave for windows comes from msys system.
(Refer http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MSYS).

I have installed the MSYS system with the MinGW tool chain to build some
libraries.

I will show my workaround to quick deal with the issue

Before executing pkg install command, I executed the below

 >> a=['C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin;' getenv('PATH)];
 >> putenv('PATH', a);

The above commands set the PATH to C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin in which msys make is
installed on my PCs
and force to execute "make" in C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin instead of that in
C:\octave\Octave-3.8.2\bin
(Typical install).

After that pkg install command works without problem.

Tatsuro