Re: Oct2XLS produces readonly error on one computer

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Oct2XLS produces readonly error on one computer
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 05:08:45 -0700 (PDT)

ijourneaux wrote
> Yes Excel by itself can write the file.
> I was doing some searching on the web last night, supposidly there is a
> way to get the call to a 32bit com app to work. I hope to try that today
> but If it doesn't work, I will have to get IT to give me a pc with 32 bit
> win7

Two of my boxes are Win7 64bit; Octave + io pkg do work fine there (all
spreadsheet interfaces).

Your Octave is (probably) 32 bit, the io package (tied to Octave) is 32-bit,
AFAIU your MS-Office is also 32-bit, so it should all work. No need to hack
into 64-32bit stubs and thunks.

Did you check in Task manager (in the "Processes" tab) if there any stray
Excel invocations still running as zombie processes? or any other hidden
program capable of holding on to files? If so, one of those could easily
hamper proper operation of the io package.

Your other bet could be to write .xslx files (Excel 2007+) using the OCT
interface. No dependencies at all are needed then.

Philip