Re: Not able to install io package

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Not able to install io package
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 06:57:35 -0700 (PDT)

jerome1212 wrote
> Dear all, I am not able to get the io package installed properly.  I am
> using the Octave 3.8 version and downloaded the io package at the
> following site:  http://octave.sourceforge.net/io/index.html.  The package
> name is io-2.2.2.tar.gz .  Within the GUI I navigate to the folder of this
> downloaded file and type the following into the command line:
>
>>> pkg install -forge io
>
> I don't get an error and see the following:
>

> For information about changes from previous versions of the io package,
> run 'news io
> '.
>
> When I try to use a function from that package (e.g. xlsread) I get the
> following error:
>
>>> help xlsread
> error: help: Functions for spreadsheet style I/O (.xls .xlsx .sxc .ods
> .dbf .wk1
> etc.) are provided in the io package. See `http://octave.sf.net/io/'.
>
> Please read `http://www.octave.org/missing.html' to learn how you can
> contribute missing functionality.
>
> Any ideas what is going wrong here and how to fix it?

You didn't load the io package.

BTW what platform (Windows? Mac OSX? Linux?) - because in the windows
installer for 3.8.x there's a build script meant to install octave-forge
packages.

Step 1:
=======
As Markus outlined below, you should either do:

pkg install -forge io;  ## downloads io package from Octave-Forge site

or

pkg install io-<version>.tar.gz;  ## Installs from a file downloaded on your
PC

Step 2:
=======
pkg load io

Hint: add the -auto flag during installation so that the io package is
loaded upon starting Octave:

pkg install -forge -auto io

P.