Re: same function name in two files

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: same function name in two files
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 21:20:35 -0400

On Jun 15, 2014, at 8:58 PM, kamaraju kusumanchi <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 8:43 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Jun 15, 2014, at 8:38 PM, kamaraju kusumanchi <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > IMHO, this is really error prone way of doing it. Since every time you
> > write code, you have to look back, keep track of the function octave is
> > going to pick up. I am surprised octave does not have better namespace
> > capabilities.
> >
> > raju
>
> Historically, the m-file language was not object oriented. However, classdef
> support is being added to Octave and will allow methods associated with
> different objects to be called for each instance of an object.
>
>         http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/classdef.html
>

> Ah, sweet!  I think the methods in the classdef is what I am after. I am
> currently using octave 3.8.1 on Debian Jessie. Does this support classdef?
>
> octave:1> help classdef
> error: help: 'classdef' not found
> octave:1> version
> ans = 3.8.1
>
> If not, is it available in a development branch or something? I don't mind
> compiling from source. I have not done this in a long time as Debian octave
> packages are pretty good and I never felt the need to compile from sources.
>
> raju

The work on classdef is under way. A lot is completed in the default branch.

        http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/get-involved.html

There are several Debian users among the developers.  If you would like to help
out, first setup your mercurial archive and then send an email to the
developers mail-list.

Ben